Sunday, February 14, 2010

Writing break!


I am finally done with a second paper for a conference that is coming up. I can't wait to see my buddies from graduate school (the presentations make me nervous, so I just won't think about them today).
When I write, the process takes over my life. I dream about my arguments. I get snippy, achey, tired, and easy frustrated. I feel stupid and question my life choices. It's during these times that I should make an effort to take care of me, but it doesn't always happen. "Exercise" goes to the wayside, and I often don't cook. I eat, but I don't even take proper meals. Bad professor!

where non-genius stuff happens

Last night, I was almost done, and I realized that I needed to cook. Blokey has been patient and kind, as usual, reading drafts and discussing my ideas with me along the way (it's been a long way). So I made one of his favorites: homemade pizza (he prefer's Lou Malnati's over mine, but I can forgive him for his Chicago prejudices) with salad.

Arugula salad pizza

For the dough, I used this recipe: the bread without a timer . I didn't useit all, so I have about 1/3 of the dough in the fridge, for a snack later.

Additional ingredients:
Fresh mozzerella (I got mine from Fairway)
Pecorino Romano (also from UWS Fairway)
Coarse ground corn meal


For the Sauce:
1 28 oz. can of chopped tomatoes
about 3/4 teaspoon of salt (but careful with this, my tomatoes weren't salted)
butter
2 cloves of garlic chopped
1 smaller onion, diced
dried basil
pepper
a pinch of cayenne

Method:
Saute the onions in the butter over medium heat until it is softer (2-3 minutes). Add the garlic. Stir. After another 4-5 minutes (everything should be golden brown), add the tomatoes. Now add another Tablespoon of butter (you know you want to). Simmer with the lid over lower heat for about 10-15 minutes. Add pepper, cayenne and dried basil to taste (fresh would be better, but it's February)

Preheat the over as hot as it will possibly go (Broil for us. Our heat was down last night so it was welcome).
Pull off a chunk about 1/3 of the dough from bread and rolled it out, then stretch it by hand to desired thickness/thinness. I made it thicker than usual, because Blokey likes it thicker (damn you, Chicago culture).
Sprinkle the bottom of your cookie sheet (ideally a baking stone). Place the streched out dough on top. Add sauce and cheese (we went heavier on the mozzerella, because the percorino was quite strong) and other toppings if you have them around.

Bake for about 10-12 minutes, but keep a close eye on it. When the edges are golden and the cheese is bubbly, it should be done.

While it's baking, whip up the salad:

4 oz. of arugula or other mixed greens
dressing:
1/2 Tbs of dijon
1 Tbs of olive oil
1 clove of garlic chopped
juice of half a lemon
splash of apple cider vinegar
salt, peper and oregano to taste.

Whisk up the ingredients for the dressing then pour over the salad.

When it's done, place the salad on top of the pizza and eat. Somehow the fresh arugula and drsesing on the fatty, carby goodness is a great combination.


1 comment:

Anne said...

Could we have this at the Kangwell feast? It'd be great on it's own, or with some prosciutto or italian sausage to please the carnivores :)