Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Whole Wheat, molasses and pumpkin cake/bread


Too frickin' hungry to take a picture first

I've been baking alot at the new Bed-Stuy apartment. The problem is that when you eat alone and bake, you tend to accidently eat 1/3 of the damn thing by yourself in the first day. No problem, though. This is mildly healthy.
I adapted this from a Betty Crocker Cookbook's pumpkin bread recipe. Usually when I screw about with a receipe to make it healthy, it ends up tasting like crap. Somehow, I escaped that fate.
I just used a cheap-o can of Libby's pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix). You could use fresh pumpkin but I would be sure to simmer it down so its not so liquidy. I already used about 1/4 of the can making crappy, pumpkin pancakes (massive FAIL) on Saturday and I was excited to use the rest. But as a result I had to adjust the measurements of the rest of the ingredients. I've adjusted them back, though, as I imagine in the future, I'll have the whole can.
Oh, and the molasses is kinda rich in Iron and something else, which aint so bad for a sweetener. The resulting cake is hearty, moist, dense, not too sweet, and with a distinct blend of molasses and pumpkin. drool.

Lefty Cook's hippie-fied healthier Pumpkin Bread
supposedly makes about 24 pieces, but I don't believe it for second

ingredients:
1 can of pumpkin
1 1/4 c. molasses (unsulphured, robust stuff)
2/3 c. olive oil (the recipe called for veggie oil, but I don't keep canola or veggie oil. I think the olive oil just added to the flavor)
2 1/4 teas vanilla
4 large eggs
3 c. whole wheat flour
2 teas. baking soda
1 teas. salt (I would reduce this for the future)
2 1/4 teas of pumpkin spice (or 1 1/2 teas. of cinnamon, about a 1/4 teas each of ginger, cardamom, cloves, or a combination)
1/2 teas. baking powder
1/2 c. chopped nuts (I used walnuts)

Preheat oven to 350
mix pumpkin, molasses, oil, vanilla, eggs in large bowl. Stir in dry ingredients, except nuts. Then stir in nuts. This will be a very dark batter from the get go.
Bake either in two 8' loaf pans (59-60 minutes), 1 9 inch (for 70-80 minutes), or if you left your loaf pan in your old apartment, bake it in your dang bundt pan. When the chop stick comes out clean, it's probably done.

My last csa drop of the regular season was last Tuesday. Never fear, however, the Winter Share starts in December!

2 comments:

Monica said...

Mmmm I love pumpkiny stuff. Can't wait to try this one!

Rad said...

Let me know how it turns out for you! I just finished mine today (not that bad- 4 days of eating the whole thing, at a 3/4 ratio)