Saturday, June 5, 2010

Smoothie Queen

It's been HOT in NY. Too hot to cook, and too hot to want to eat anything warm. On Thursday evening, we were hungry but still on a wonky schedule, so I made this for dinner. It was better than just eating Popsicles.



Dinner fruit smoothie
Ingredients:
2 c. of plain yogurt
1 bag of frozen strawberries
2 overripe bananas
honey
2 Tbs of ground flax seeds

I have a super blender, the BlendTec. It's the same one I used when I worked over the summer at the coffee shop in a Barnes and Noble (we used it to make frappaccinos. I still don't get the appeal. Why not just eat coffee ice cream and call it a day?) If you don't have a super strong blender, let the strawberries thaw a little and chop them up a bit. Not too much though.
Throw all the ingredients except the honey into the blender. Blend on the highest level for about 10-15 seconds, and then finish at a medium level until smooth. Serve in a whatever cups you like, and stir in less than a teaspoon of honey into each cup. Makes about 3-4 servings.

Since Blokey and I make our own yogurt (another generous and awesome wedding gift), I think we can consider this a quite homemaid dinner.


The smoothie texture quickly melted into liquid, as it was so hot out, but it was still pretty good.

3 comments:

Dorky Medievalist said...

I love breakfast for dinner. And I'm sure you've thought of it, but I like to keep glass beer mugs in my freezer for smoothies and other cold drinks on super-hot days. It's only a temporary fix but it helps a little to keep things cold.

I hope the heat breaks soon for you.

Anne said...

Mmmm, smoothies! Thanks for reminding me how much I love them. I used to eat one every morning for breakfast while on Weight Watchers, and it probably wouldn't kill me to get back to that.

I never got the appeal of frappuccinos either, or for that matter, paying $5 for such a thing.

Rad said...

DMed: I didn't think about frosted glasses! I will, though, for the next smoothie dinner!
Anne, we can make smoothies for brekkie when I'm in town.